Tuesday, April 24, 2012

We're in trouble




I think this character speaks for himself.  He's got "trouble" written all over him.  And sometimes you can see it coming. 

And then there's the elder brother. 
It's kinda hard to see, thanks to his elaboration, so let me explain this one.  We were working on counting - count the number of shaded squares and write the number.  Bigger counted three with no trouble.  Now, writing "3" is more of a challenge.  And honestly between the fact that he is only 4, he's a boy, and he's a leftie I'm sure we are in for a big struggle with handwriting.  But I'm not worried about that, just trying to give him opportunities to practice. 

You can see how his "3" turned out.  Most definately a "2."  A really nice, clear (especially for a 4 year old left handed boy) "2" but a "2" all the same.  So I wrote one for him and asked if he would try again.  He did, eventually.  But first he crossed out the bottom shaded-in square.  (Can you see it?) 
He made the data fit his answer. 

The little stinker. 

8 comments:

Tracey ~ Clover said...

Kate, do you have any lefties in your family? I am a leftie and three out of five of my children are too. I agree that a lot of times boys take a little longer to catch on to things, but I have not seen any difference between right and left handers. As the mom to four boys, if I can help you in any way please let me know, I would be glad to. :)

*kate said...

Thanks Tracey!
DH is leftie. I think his concerns about it are that SO much is rightie oriented and that writing is more awkard because of it. I'm not overly concerned about it - just trying to be aware of things that might challenge him.

Joanne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
*kate said...

Sorry Joanne! I didn't mean to delete your comment :( Sometimes the touch pad mouse gets away from me.

Clare said...

Just make sure Ben is keeping his wrist straight. There is no need to bend it (avoid "the claw" at all costs. I think the awkwardness comes when you are watching a right hander and trying to emulate them exactly (hand position too). Do you have tracers with arrows showing where to start and which way to go? I will see if I have any websites so you can make custom worksheets. You can put them in sheet protectors and use dry erase markers to reuse them.

Tracey ~ Clover said...

I agree Kate, it is a right handed world! Do you have a left handed store anywhere near you? When I was in highschool we had one so that is where I bought all of my school supplies. We don't have a leftie store in my town now so I have taught my children to flip their notebooks over and use them 'backwards'. It does help because the writing hand doesn't have to rest on the spine of the notebook. For holding a pencil you can purchase little grippers that slide over the pencil and help with finger placement...they are really wonderful. Tracing letter formation over and over again for fine motor skills is also a wonderful tool.
xx

Emily said...

I definitely can get on board with the manipulating of data, LOL!!! What a cutie!

We had the opposite issue at our house (leftie parents, righty kidlet), but it all works out!

embracingitall said...

Love it! Cheeky poppet. I'm a leftie as are my two girls. We aren't sure what Jairah will be yet, he still seems to use both hands. Jacinta